11.16.2010

5/14

I just got back from the Asian market.  I was buying some ingredients for dinner tonight that I couldn't find anywhere else in town.

It made me think about something else I'm thankful for. . .

Culture!  Not my culture, not the American culture, and not Texan culture (in fact, these are my least favorite cultures), just culture in general.

I really appreciate how different people from varying geographical areas look, physically, how they each have their own unique style of dress, sometimes their own language, their own cuisine, their own traditions, their own humor, their own style of art, their own smells. . . I could go on and on, but I just love culture!

I also love how it varies in different regions of a country too.  It's phenomenal.  There's so much variety in the world... no two people groups are alike, just as no two people are alike.  Even with in the different regions, each family sometimes has slightly different traditions.  Wow wow wow.

Sometimes too, when you get a look at someone else's culture, it causes you to be more thankful (and less complaining) for your own culture and gifts.  On the other hand, being exposed to these things can also cause you to apply new traditions, beliefs, etc., to your own life/culture in order to grow and change in unique ways and be a better and more loving person.

So in that sense, the more globalized the world becomes, the more the cultures might change, which means you've got more to keep up with!

Someday I'd like to experience some of these cultures first hand.  It's one of my goals in life.

So yes.  I thankful for cultures and their awesome variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment