1.23.2011

purple potatoes

purple!
 I'd heard about these beautiful creatures before, but had never found them anywhere. . . not until I was at the health food store about a month ago.  I spotted the beauties, but ended up not buying any.  Bad decision.  I couldn't get the little spuds out of my mind.  Two weeks ago when we were back in Fayetteville, I bought a few of them.

so pretty
I browsed online looking for an interesting recipe to use them in, but I couldn't find anything that especially piqued my interest.  They sat on the counter for about eight days until I decided to bake them in the oven like I do white potatoes.  I could at least compare their taste that way.

garlic, thyme, rosemary, basil, olive oil
I smashed them with my fork once they came out of the oven.  They looked mostly brown before I smashed them, which isn't very visually interesting.


They were pretty and they were yummy!  I think they cook a little faster than russets, but the flavor is actually pretty close, unlike that of the sweet potato.  I thought it would be much more flavorful than it was.


Today I leave you with a photo of my small but functional kitchen.  It's probably where I spend the most of my time, besides the bedroom, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment