1.20.2011

Shiver shiver

I went grocery shopping yesterday, since I hadn't been for about 15 days and thus had an empty refrigerator.  Unfortunately, I think everyone else in Siloam Springs decided to go shopping as well.  It was crazy.  Maybe it was due to the coming snow storm (we got 3 inches of the white stuff).  I stopped to get gas on the way back and discovered only one pump was available.  All the others were "out of order."

Wal-mart had hundreds of people waddling around with their grossly overloaded grocery carts.  My least favorite store is Wal-mart, so I always go there last.  I have never understood how people manage to fill their carts so full.  It seems impossible to me, because even when I a buy a few things I don't need (fun groceries), I still don't have to stack any of the contents of my cart.  My conclusion is that it's because I don't buy any junk food or many prepackaged items (unless varying cheeses/milks/pastas/canned goods count as prepackaged).

Sometimes the food in those carts look so delicious... and then I look up and see an obese person struggling to push it.  Then I look at the junk food and get a somewhat repulsed feeling in my stomach and become quite happy with my carrots, pineapples, kale, leeks, garlic...

I read about Wal-mart and Michelle Obama's 5 year plan to introduce more healthy foods to people.  What do you think about it?  Will it actually make a difference?  Is it actually beneficial?  Do you think more people will like Wal-mart after this, or will more people hate it?

3 comments:

  1. I read the article...why can't Wal-Mart just replace any sodium with real sea salt instead of lowering the sodium? Table salt is poison to our bodies, and makes us obese. yuk.

    I wish Wal-Mart would sell more organic produce & lower the price on that...organic has like 5 times more nutrition than regular produce. Hard to be healthy but worth it! Have you ever had leek tart by the way? Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think at this point any change is better than what we've got. It's not just the salt that is to blame - it's the preservatives, dyes, fats, processing, etc that are making us fat. The best thing is just not to eat that type of food. But, people are going to eat it anyway, so... I guess they should make it as healthy as possible.

    Same with the organic... it may have more vitamins/nutrients, but even mass grown foods are better than having none/only processed. You know what I mean? It's like, "good vs. better/best."

    What is leek tart? I've never heard of it. Do you have a recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, definately any change is better than nothing. Even though I'd really like more food grown organic, it's food. I'd rather have conventionally grown produce than NONE at all though.

    It's kinda like a casserole, but in a pie plate. So delicious and easy to make! I'll try sending the recipe through facebook to you or somehow through here.

    ReplyDelete