1.17.2011

Almond Milk

I think I've been inspired!  Making almond milk was fun!  Now I want to try making cashew milk/rice milk/sunflower seed milk.  It would be nice if the sunflower seed milk turned out, because that would be the cheapest to make.  Someday soon I'll try it.


 Step one: soak 1 cup of almonds in water overnight (I soaked mine for about 12 hours)


Step two: strain and rinse the almonds.



Step three: put almonds in blender



Step four: add two cups of water to the almonds.



Step five: blend for about a minute.


Step six: strain (ideally, using a cheesecloth, but I don't have one so I made do with what I had)


Step seven: place almond pulp back in blender, add two more cups of water, and repeat steps five and six.



Step eight: consume almond milk!

- - - - - - - - - - 

I like the taste of the almond milk with cereal and to cook with, but I don't like it plain.  Maybe I would like it more if I diluted it.  However, I also think dairy milk is gross to drink on its lonesome (unless it's chocolate milk!).

Also, some people suggested adding some vanilla extract and a pinch of salt to enhance it.

- - - - - - - - - -

I dried out the leftover almond pulp in the oven, ground into a fine powder with my awesome new "spice" mill (coffee grinder), and turned it into an almond flour, of sorts.  Then I made biscuits with it, using equal parts white flour, whole wheat flour, and almond flour.  Next time I'll try without white flour, but I just wanted to get a feel for what would happen.  Instead of dairy milk, I used leftover coconut cream (from when I made curry) and almond milk.


The end result?  The biscuits were amazing!  They were not huge and poofy like canned biscuits, but they were very light and practically disintegrated/melted in my mouth.  Scrumptious.  Next time I think I'll try experimenting with replacing the fats with something else, maybe applesauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment