1.21.2011

The Little Rock Nine

John Brown University has different art exhibits throughout the school year.  Tuesday evening, Jesse and I went to the opening of Will Counts' "Target for Intolerance."

As I was reading the story and looking at the photos containing so many different faces, emotions, and actions, I began to feel some what revolted.

By the story?  Yes, in part.

I'll tell you what, never before in my life have I been so embarrassed to be white.

I've been embarrassed to be a Christian before, I'm almost always embarrassed to be American, but I'd never before been embarrassed about the tone of my skin.

What drives a human being to believe they're so great because of the color of their flesh?

I just don't get it.

Why in the world did/do people think they have the right to destroy the life of another human being because one person's melanocytes are more active?  What gives the melanin deficient person the right to feel superior?

I hate it.  I am sorry for the way my "race" treated those of African descent (or really, of any non-European descent).

I just don't "get" this kind of intolerance.  I understand having different values/morals/beliefs, but I don't understand the judgment and condemnation.

What do you think society as a whole is unjustly intolerant about today?  Do you think you're intolerant/over reactive about anything?  Or what things have you been intolerant about in the past that you've now come to realize you've been wrong about?

No comments:

Post a Comment