12.01.2010

Friand Fail

One of Jesse's favorite restaurants is a little "French" cafe called "La Madeleine."  He especially loves their chicken friand, something I'd only eaten once in my life.

Since he loves it so much, I wanted to make it for him as a special dinner.  After a lengthy search on the internet, I found a recipe.

Here are pictures from the cooking adventure.

Dried mushrooms rehydrating
Green onions

Fresh mushooms

Chopping the chicken

Cooked chicken

The sauce

Mushrooms + chicken

Mushrooms + chicken + cheese

  Puff pastries.

All baked!

Finished product

- - - - - - - - - - -

The end result?

It was not good.  No, it wasn't horrible.  Jesse ate all of his.  I only ate a half of mine.  The other half plus the extra whole one sat in the fridge for a few days until I finally threw it out.

I think it had potential to be delicious, but it was a fail.

I personally think it just had too much mushroom flavor (I love mushrooms).  I think it was from the dried mushrooms; they had such a strong flavor.  Maybe if I'd gotten a different variety it would've been better, though I think it would've tasted best with only fresh mushrooms and without the mushroom broth... I'd use chicken broth instead.  It was just way rich and heavy with all those mushrooms.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Maybe I'll try it again someday, but not any time soon... we're still recovering, and I made this mid November.

No comments:

Post a Comment