7.31.2011

How old?

For as long as I can remember, people have thought I'm much older than I actually am.  I'm not sure why - maybe my darker complexion and height give the illusion of maturity.

Example:
When I was in seventh grade I went with my sister and mom to Oklahoma State University's registration day.  My sister, Andrea, was planning on enrolling in the music program there.  When we walked around a foyer filled with booths, information desks, and employees, I was asked numerous times what degree I was going to get.

Example:
When I was fourteen, I went with my sister, Deanna, to a huge bridal show at the Marland Mansion in Ponca City.  Again, there were many booths set up with information on rings, photography, cakes, catering, attire, etc.  I was asked over and over again when I was getting married.

Example:
I went to India when I was fifteen (I turned 16 on the trip) with my sister and brother-in-law.  One day we took a train to Agra to tour the Taj Mahal.  As we were reveling in its beauty and taking photos of each other, an Indian family approached us.  They asked to take photos with us, and we obliged.  I remember feeling a little creeped out by the way one of the older men was posing with me. I later learned via my sister that one of the ladies was interested in setting me up with a marriage to her older brother (the one posing with me).  He was about 40 and can be seen standing beside/behind me in the following picture.  Of course, in India, I guess age hasn't traditionally been taken into account. . .


All that to say, a few weeks ago I'd been hanging out with some fellow staffers at camp, Ryan (16) and Chelsea (19) while waiting for my ropes course group to arrive.  After they got there, I walked over to meet them and a 14ish year-old promptly asked me if those were my two kids that I just left.

Are you serious?!  I know I look older than I am, but do I seriously look 40?!


- - - - - - -

On the opposite extreme, the director's 5 year-old daughter asked me if Jesse was my da-da (dad).  That's reassuring, as people usually think me a cradle robber.

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHA! Janna, that made me laugh really hard. Okay, so being old isn't so bad though. People always think I'm way younger! When I was 16, I went to piano camp and all the 12 year olds were hanging out with me and they thought I was their age. And People always thought I was my older sister's daughter when I was younger. People generally are shocked when they hear my age... I guess I'm the exact opposite of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know which would be worse. :) Maybe you'll age better than me though, right?
    Wow... poor Heather! I would be insulted! :P

    ReplyDelete