7.24.2011

a bug on a leash!

A few weeks ago a boy at camp caught a flying beetle and gently tied a string around its neck.  After attaching the other end to a stick it was "3, 2, 1 launch!"  The bug was tossed into the air where it began to fly in circles around its new master.

Pet beetles?  They're going to be the new pet rock.


The only thing I did that was remotely close to that was to make a leash for my bunny with yarn. Unfortunately, I'd accidentally tied it in a slip knot and almost asphyxiated my own pet. It was a traumatic experience for both of us.

When I was a kid, I didn't do anything particularly creative. Definitely not as creative has having a Kite Bug, anyway.  My sister and I once sat on our front porch and chopped Rolly Pollies in half with our scissors (in fact, I think I may still have those scissors)  There were hundreds of them before we started our genocide.

Another time, my sisters and I set up boxing ring in our front yard.  We got some chairs and then connected them with yarn to make a square ring.  Unfortunately, our days as boxers were cut short after my mom investigated the ruckus.

Dragging each other down the stairs on sheets and blankets was also a common occurrence, despite the carpet burns and bruises we'd get.

When we lived in Oklahoma, we had an old shed in our pasture.  We collected artifacts (pieces of glass, old jewelry, coins, etc) and bones that we found and arranged them in there.  We called it our "museum" and opened it up for business.  We even had a log swing inside. Our customers were charged 5 cents to ride on it (or they would have been, if our mom hadn't discovered our fees sign).

In our tall weeds along the fence, we built a "house" by smashing down the grass.  We could play there for hours. There were plenty of rooms for everyone, connected by "hallways." We even built a loo so we wouldn't be inconvenienced. We had our own snack machine too, thanks to the large mulberry tree the grew above our "house."

- - - - - - - -

What kind of things did you play as a child?

4 comments:

  1. Yep, that sounds like an awesome childhood. I was laughing really hard about the cutting up rolly pollies and the fees at the museum. :)

    Well, we played raft. Sailing off the coast of Montana (Yes, I'm aware Montana doesn't have a coast), escaping from the evil orphanage. We played this in our clubhouse, and each of us had a buddy. Jonathan and I were on the first floor (and everyone above us would sweep their dirt on us), Noah and Ruth (going by the names of Petrie and Jo) were on the second floor, and Luke and Jesse were in what I specifically remember we called the "attic" which was the very top of the clubhouse, under the tarp (when the tarp roof was up, anyway). We caught lots of fish (pinecones) and had a wonderful time sailing to foreign lands.

    I played house a lot, in the woods. I would stay out their from 10 or 11 in the morning until 7 or 8 at night, with breaks in between for snacks and bathroom breaks. Anyway, I had so many forts outside, and mom would give me her old pots and pans and containers she didn't want, so I took them to my "brush forts" (as they were aptly named) so I could have a fully working pretend kitchen. In fact, I think they may still be out there...

    When I got a little older, (say, 12 or 13) my friends and I would go out into the woods and have picnics on a blanket.

    We played lots of things, but those are the most memorable ones (that we played outside, at least). I hope my children can have as great a childhood as I have had.

    How are you and Jesse doing, anyway? I haven't heard from you guys in a long time! You going to be able to make it out for the wedding in December?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah! Sounds like fun! I remember the orphans one. It's a regular tale at the compound. :) I love the creativity of children! I wish I had my imagination again. :)

    We're doing great! Just had our first anniversary! Yoo-hoo! When life slows down, maybe we'll do something to celebrate.

    And yes! I think we'll be able to make it. December 30, right? We were planning on coming back around then before you got engaged anyway! You picked a good date. :-) Are you loving the wedding planning?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've got news for ya, life doesn't slow down. I've been waiting for that for eleven months now... Haha. Happy Anniversary! It totally slipped by me, I forgot you two were married in July...

    Yep, that's the date! We're going to have fireworks every year around our Anniversary. That'll be nice. So far, wedding planning, some of it, yes! Some of it, I could leave in a box on a curb. (the planning, I mean) It's all pretty overwhelming. But Daniel and I have been doing it together so I hope the party turns out great. How did you like your planning?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup! We're past the newly wed stage now, I think. :)

    Yes! There's just so many details to think about. Sounds like you're doing a good job on keeping up with everything though!
    I didn't mind planning some stuff. I liked it better when Jesse helped me. And I especially liked that my mom had so many good ideas. Basically, Jesse and I just made decisions/choices and she made everything happen... it was wonderful. :) I didn't care about most details though, I was just excited to get married. :)

    ReplyDelete