9.01.2010

Soaked

The sun was shining oh-so-brightly.  I was just out of its reach in the safety of the dark hall.  The sun may have been giving the plants energy, but I was already exhausted and it was just adding to that.

I peeked out of the hall and saw a mob of grinning faces. . . their eyes were glinting with mischief and amusement.  Suddenly I felt a little nervous.  And the waiting. . . it seems like I was in that hall forever.  I was getting so antsy.

Finally, I looked into the eyes of the man beside me, my husband.  Little beads of sweat were on his forehead and his back was damp.  All that dancing and mingling had worn us out and our energy was sapped.

Our eyes met and we nodded at each other and we began to softly say, "One. . . two. . . three. . . NOW!!!"  before we both surged forward into that shining sun and sea of people.

As we ran further into the light, I discovered I couldn't see a thing.  Liquid was streaming into my eyes.  I felt a something repeatedly pelting against my body.  I tried to run faster and faster, but my legs wouldn't speed up.  I could vaguely make out a blurry white image in front of me.  I now sensed that my clothes were soaked and were clinging against my body.

As I drew nearer to that blurry white image, all our plans were tossed.  I grasped for a handle, gripped, and yanked that car door open.  I crawled rapidly across the car and sat down with splash into my own seat.  I looked back and saw Jesse scrambling to get in.

I was laughing so hard, but I was also panicked.  The faces started moving towards our car now.  I urged Jesse to shut his door before beginning to search for the lock button.  It was like a horrible dream though, I searched for that button for what felt like hours before I finally found it.  The adrenaline was surging through my body and when I tried to push the button my hand kept slipping and punching buttonless areas of the door.  Finally, my finger contacted the lock button, just as somebody approached my door.  They pounded on the window and I slowly, hesitantly rolled it down inch by inch.  I smiled for the camera that was put into my face, said a few things of which I have no recollection, and rolled the window back up.

I looked at Jesse saw a huge smile plastered onto his face.  We were both soaked, we were no longer sweaty, and we both had buckets of energy.  Excited, we blurted out something along the lines of, "That was incredible!  It was the best part of the wedding!  I'm so glad we did this."  Jesse looked down at himself and pointed at the pieces of balloons that clung to his clothes and buttons.

Then?

We laughed.

4 comments:

  1. this post cracks me up. is it a horror story or a comedy? ;) I told my friend Catherine, whose wedding I was just in, about us throwing water balloons at you. she was horrified and said "was the bride upset?!" I replied, "um, no, I don't think so...I think it was her and Jesse's idea." She didn't understand how awesome it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and then later, back on the home front after the happy couple evacuated to parts unknown...we peered into the car, aghast. how in the world could 2 people get that wet so fast? it looked as if someone had just dumped buckets into that car!

    24 hours later tho'...after pressing with many towels, removing floor mats, and sealing a huge dehumidifier into the car overnight...it actually did dry out. The dehumidifier removed 2 Qts of water :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahah Ruth! Well. . . we did sort of have a nontraditional wedding. :D I don't think anyone will ever understand. . . until they've done it, of course. Because it was even more awesome than we thought it'd be. Of course, in planning them, both Jesse and I thought that most people would miss us and hit each other so we wouldn't actually get that wet. . . hah!

    And Claudia, that's exactly what we said! There wasn't a dry part on us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janna, your posts are awesome! :) And I wish I was there for that part of the wedding. Super cute picture.

    ReplyDelete