3.16.2011

division

I'm sure my presence has been greatly missed.  I've been busy, very busy.

. . . busy relaxing on my spring break.

One thought:

division.

Why?  Why do we as humans allow ourselves to be so divided?  Obviously we're divided geographically and by language, but besides that.  Yes, everyone's different, but why do so many people gloat about it?  Everyone thinks and acts like they're *that* much better than everyone else.  Their language is better, their traditions are better, their religion is better (and within that, their sect/denomination is better), their clothing is better, their hair is better, their food is better, their lifestyles are better, their family ties are better... I could go on and on.

I'm not completely naive, as I do expect that to some degree, but I expect it so much less from adults who've lived life and seen things.  I expect this attitude more from the youth and less exposed populations, but I just don't get it when older adults walk about with pride.  I for one love different cultures and different aspects of different places and ethnic groups.  Yes, we're different, but that shouldn't divide us.  Why can't we embrace the fact that different doesn't mean worse/lesser/bad?  Admit the fact that we don't have it all together?   Maybe we *should* start looking at how other people do things, because we're definitely not perfect.  And, even within religions, while I believe there is only one truth, I do think all other religions are intriguing and have great traditions that I should perhaps carry into my own life.  And within my own faith, why should I pretend like I have all the answers?  If my God was small enough for me to understand, small enough for me to have all the answers about, why would I want to worship him?  There's so much to know, so much to understand, so much truth to grow in... let's not get stuck in rut and see only what we've known.

Let's open our eyes and admit we just *might* be wrong.  Let's embrace our differences and love each other because of them, not in spite of them.

1 comment:

  1. I can understand how irritating all the "dividing" can be. I don't get it too much where I am from parents, but moreso from kids who believe that if you don't go to college or aren't in a social job you aren't smart or "socially aware."

    I always think of the Romans 12 verse:

    "For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought, but to think with sober judgement, each according to the faith given to him by God."

    ReplyDelete